March 2, 2020
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp confirmed at a late-night news conference Monday that there were two confirmed cases of COVID-19, the coronavirus, in Fulton County.
The governor urged residents that there is no reason to panic about the announcement.
“Georgians should remain calm. We were ready for today. We have been preparing for weeks now and so far, every development has come forward just as we expected it would,” Kemp said.
Kemp said the newly formed state coronavirus task force played a big role in being proactive in this case.
“We thought it was important that we come today and tell you about this even as our epidemiologists are still investigating and find any potential contacts in the community,” Department of Public Health Commissioner Dr. Kathleen Toomey said.